Key Points at a Glance:
- Business Administration courses like Business Management prepare you to specialize in a specific business function.
- Business Administration courses help you learn accounting, finance, economics, marketing, and management concepts.
- A certificate or diploma in business administration is beneficial to land a job in any industry.
What Is Business Administration or Management?
A business is not just composed of a product or service. It is composed of a group of people. Business administration and management focuses on how a business works, how it will run, and how it will thrive in the business environment.
Business administration and business management are often used interchangeably. The commonality between them is the presence of management, business etiquette and communication, organizational behaviour, marketing, and accounting concepts.
Business management tends to focus on the management and decision-making processes involved in running a business. Oftentimes, business managers function on an executive level.
Business administration on the other hand focuses on the functional and operational level of a business. Business administrators are usually subject matter experts on a specific business process.
For example, a business administrator with a specialization in hospitality management is expected to know specific hospitality laws and regulations in the region where they operate. Business managers on the other hand can also be well-versed in specific laws and regulations but they can base their decisions on recommendations provided by their administrators.
The interchangeability comes from the fact that business managers or administrators know how to run a business but just on different levels.
Why Is Business Administration Important?
Proper business administration and management will help a business thrive. Any industry is in need of a staff who is knowledgeable in business administration. A business cannot run without someone managing it. A business cannot survive with just a product or service and vice-versa.
There are 3 main reasons why business administration is important for businesses:
- Administrators who have in-depth knowledge in a particular business process can help create improvements to optimize it. Business administration practitioners have specialized knowledge to help them create recommendations or decisions on business process improvements.
- Administrators can help businesses meet objectives. A business team’s marketing team can create promos but they need to work with the administrative side to know of specific product nuances that will be helpful for the marketing campaign.
- Those who practice business administration help keep businesses run like a well-oiled machine. Administrators often see the operational gaps because of their chosen specialization.
According to Randstad, a Canada-based human resources firm, administrative jobs are in demand for 2021 despite the pandemic– the demand is evident of its importance for businesses.
Why Invest in a Business Administration Education?
Earning a business administration diploma or certificate will do wonders for one’s career! A 1-year certificate can help you stand out from the competition. Some schools in Vancouver offer a 1-year certificate option that you can eventually upgrade into a bachelor’s degree, how cool is that!
Business administration is a dynamic area of study to pursue. You get to know management, business etiquette and communication, organizational behaviour, marketing, and accounting concepts. Depending on the higher educational institution that you are enrolled in, you can even choose your specialization.
Upskill and be an asset to any organization, enroll in a business administration course today!