Federal Supports for Post-Secondary Students and Recent Graduates Affected by COVID-19
The federal government has announced a package of new and enhanced financial supports for post-secondary students:
- Targeted supports for students who are ineligible for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit;
- Increased and expanded eligibility for student financial aid;
- Targeted supports for Indigenous students; and,
- Expanded supports for graduate students.
Federal Change to International Student Work Hour Limits
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has announced that effective immediately and until August 31, 2020, international students may work more than the 20 hours/week during their regular academic session to assist with delivering essential services or functions to protect life and property, such as the health care sector.
- International students and their employers should consult Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Canada’s Guidance on Essential Services and Functions during the COVID-19 outbreak to determine if the work the student is doing qualifies under this facilitation.
- For more information please consult the federal government news release.